Sit & wait clinics
All of our Devon Sexual Health clinics run ‘sit and wait’ sessions sometimes also called ‘walk-in clinics’ where you can arrive without an appointment and wait to be seen.
Attending a sit and wait clinic usually means you can be seen earlier than if you book an appointment but you will have to wait until a doctor or nurse is free. If you book an appointment then you should typically be seen within 15 – 30 minutes of arrival.
If you have been sexually assaulted please make sure you mention this on arrival and we will try and see you as quickly as possible.
Tips for attending a sit and wait clinic
- If you arrive at the early part of the sit and wait session, you are more likely to be seen quickly.
- We will always do our best to see everyone that attends, however when a clinic is very busy, we may not have capacity to see you if you arrive part way through the session time.
- Busiest times are Mondays, Fridays and lunchtimes.
- Bring a book, a magazine or a friend. Not all of our clinics have free wi-fi.
- Make sure that you have enough parking on your car.
- If you are waiting and someone arrives after you but is seen before you, they have probably booked an appointment.
Sit and wait clinic times
PLEASE NOTE THE FINISH TIME OF THESE SESSIONS ARE NOT FIXED. WE DO HAVE TO CLOSE SIT AND WAIT SESSIONS EARLY IF THE SERVICE IS VERY BUSY.
OUR EXETER SERVICE AT PRESENT IS EXCEPTIONALLY BUSY AND USUALLY CLOSES EARLY.
FROM 18/2/20 WE WILL BE PILOTING A NEW BOOKING SYSTEM FOR THE EXETER SIT AND WAIT SERVICE. REGISTRATION FOR THIS SERVICE WILL OPEN AT 9AM AND THE CLINIC WILL START AT 930AM.
PLEASE NOTE WE STILL TRY TO SEE ALL EMERGENCIES EVEN IF WE HAVE HAD TO CLOSE. THESE EMERGENCIES ARE:
- EMERGENCY CONTRACEPTION
- HIV PEPSE
- ANYONE WHO HAS BEEN SEXUALLY ASSAULTED
|Sexual health & contraception||Castle Circus Health Centre Torquay||Mon – Fri||9:00am – 11:30am|
|Exeter Walk-in Centre||Mon – Fri||9:30am – 3:30pm|
|Okehampton Community Hospital||Mon||4:00pm – 7:00pm|
|Ilfracombe Tyrell Hospital||Mon||2:00pm – 5:00pm|
|Under 25s Sexual health & contraception||Castle Circus Health Centre Torquay||Thurs||3:00pm – 4:30pm|
|Newton Abbot Hospital||Tues||3:00pm – 4:30pm|
|Barnstaple Health Centre||Mon & Thurs||3:30pm – 5:30pm|
|Under 25s Contraception only||Bideford Hospital||Tues||3:30pm – 5:00pm|
|Paignton Health & Wellbeing Centre||Mon||3:00pm – 4:30pm|